14 June 2011

A grommets, tabs and seam ripper night

I must have terrible ergonomics while sewing. I always get a very stiff and sore  neck. But, finally,  my section is pretty much complete. On  the weekend I located tent  poles (buy a cheap tent and use those as they  are already shock corded together) and used trusty old duct tape to bundle them for extra support,

Tonight I stitched and ripped, and  stitched and ripped, until I got the poles to fit into their tabs properly.

I had been waiting to use the grommet setter borrowed from the Musagetes Foundation and decided tonight to add some handy tabs with grommets  where rope, elastic, S hooks or other practical fasteners could be used to increase the options of securing the Chrysalis to something else.

I suspect that the weight of 6 of these Chrysalises will need to have a centre pole support, so I hope we find a nuit blanche location that has a nice tall tree. I think a bungee cord wrapped 7' above ground and large S -hook or even some cord to run through a grommet at the top and then through the bungee cord would help secure the tops.
There is still some room for some creative touches now that the basic structure is complete. I have been making long braids of sailcloth fabric. I started these after watching Mary, in the final hour of the workshop, start to tie together strips of fabric in a sort of loose, knotted rope.

I thought this was an unusual use of leftover fabric, and she mentioned that it was surprisingly hard to find strong rope.  I wondered about that, and if in her experience on Waterpod, or in other projects, this had been a problem.  I will have to ask her.  After she said that though,  I noticed that, in fact, we have almost no rope at home, no twine, no cotton string and so I started to braid the scraps too, and for fun wrapped them around things outside and am currently using a length to cordon off part of the yard that is very, very soggy. 

No comments: